Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Back to the Old Venue

Well, that was fast.

I must admit that the demise of Condé Nast Portfolio, while not totally unexpected, came as a complete surprise to those of us in the trenches. I had the rather interesting distinction of writing the very last cover story, The Re-Education of Tim Geithner.

Not sure I have much to add to the gobs of stuff that's been written about the end of Portfolio. Hey, news organizations die--that's the way it has been for the past half century, a vast killing field of dead newspapers, magazines and news services. The last time a news organization folded under me was a couple of recessions ago, back in September 1983, when a Washington-based news service and syndicate called Network News went out of business.

I see my Portfolio colleagues going through much the same stages of grief as we experienced twenty-six years ago: rage, denial, blah blah blah. Just about everybody wound up fine (except the owners, who, coincidentally, both succumbed to cancer in a few years).

The end of Portfolio means the end of Portfolio.com, and thus (sniff) the end of my extremely short lived blog The Weiss File. So back I come, at least for the time being.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that my email address at Condé Nast is kaput. If you send an email to me there it won't bounce back, but I won't get it. As previously, it is garyweiss dot email at gmail dot com.

© 2009 Gary Weiss. All rights reserved.

Digg my article

Labels: